Program Name: Cultivating Hispanic Leaders Institute
Timeframe: 6 sessions to be conducted in January – June 2017
Session I: Opening Retreat: Leadership Styles, Practices and Attributes: January 27-28, 2017
Session Description: A two-day session designed to orient participants to the program objectives and begin the process of building a cohesive cohort. The session will frame the program’s focus on leadership development through a discussion of leadership competencies and skills. Specific topics will include an introduction to leadership styles, debrief of a personal assessment measuring thinking and behavioral attributes, and exploration of adaptive leadership practices.
- Become aware of their personal preferences and how it impacts their leadership style
- Gain insights into a variety of leadership styles, practices and attribute
- Build linkages and connection
- Be introduced to the competency of leading change and encouraged to apply the concept throughout the program.
- Identify an individual leadership challenge that will provide the basis for self-directed learning throughout the program
Location: UGA Center for Continuing Education, University of Georgia, Athens
Session II: Building Strategies and Tools for Being an Effective Leader: February 23, 2017
Session Description: Today’s 21st century leaders must combine vision and planning with outside the box thinking and strategies. This session will focus on identifying and developing leadership competencies key to real life settings and issues. Included in the session is peer-to-peer coaching related to a self-identified leadership challenge.
- Understand the processes of developing a collective vision.
- Gain tools for group decision-making and consensus building.
- Participate in peer learning strategies for real life application.
Session III: Responding as Leaders to our Community’s Social, Political and Economic Issues: March 23, 2017
Session Description: Participants will explore key community issues. The session will focus on the complexity of these issues and the specific impact in the Hispanic Community. Participants will discuss the opportunities and challenges of addressing these issues in the context of community development.
- Become aware of the complexity surrounding key issues in the Hispanic Community.
- Examine the community development process for addressing complex issues.
- Discuss leadership opportunities and challenges related to the identified community issues.
Session IV: Responding as Leaders to our Community’s Social, Political and Economic Issues: April 27, 2017
Session Description: Participants will explore leadership in the context of creativity and innovation.
Key competencies for leaders in the public and private sectors, participants will learn how creativity and innovation are functions of imagination, exploration, experimentation and application.
- Learn about the concepts of creativity and innovation.
- Apply learnings to real life scenarios.
- Discuss the role of leadership in creating environments where creativity and innovation flourish.
Session V: Real Life Leadership Lessons: May 25, 2017
Session Description: This session will focus on the experiences and perspectives of accomplished leaders as they discuss the skills required to build leadership capacity in business, community and organizations. The discussions will include their reflections on how they have led change and the competencies required to be successful change agents. Participants will also be provided an opportunity to check in with their peer coaching teams on their progress with their self-directed leadership challenge.
- Learn leadership lessons from experienced leaders including reflections on both positive and negative experiences.
- Have the opportunity to hear established leaders discuss best practices and practical applications of these practices.
- Explore the leadership competencies developed by experienced leaders and how they have learned to compensate for the skills that they do not excel in.
- Engage the experienced leaders in a discussion focused on how they have responded to the challenges of change.
Session VI: Leading Change and Graduation: June 22, 2017
Session Description: This session will weave together the leadership lessons including a capstone reflection of the participants’ self-directed leadership experience, a discussion of their personal leadership growth and an exploration of their plans for moving forward in leading change. The highlight of the day will be a graduation ceremony.
- Reflect on the application of their learning as they move forward in leadership roles.
- Identify new leadership opportunities and determine how they will begin to address it.
- Celebrate their achievement for participating in the program.